Effective March 30, 2017, Studio NiaMoves will make interior renovations. In addition to the work announced earlier regarding electricity work and removal of the breezeway, we will now upgrade the interior to convert a portion of the studio into a lounge area and add extra entryways.
There are three major advantages to our renovations:
- More hangout space: You will have more room to lounge before and after class. We will add additional seating, making it easy to relax with your friends and enjoy a beverage from El Gato Cafe next door.
- Better storage area: Stereos consoles, chairs, tables and the ladder will all be behind doors.
- Future pampering services: Chair massages, facial and personal coaching sessions are all feasible options between class times. The lounge will be a great place to host parties where food can be served.
In April, expect:
- A fresh coat of paint. Love it or not, the signature red ceiling has shown its age after 10 years. I inquired with a few teachers and chose a cheerful lighter version of “swimming blue.”
- New entrance to the lounge. A new doorway will be created in the lobby where Esther’s “Dancing Warrior” now hangs.
- A new wall with an extra entrance/exit to dance floor. The wall will divide the current carpeted area next to the cubbies and dance floor with a new French door leading onto the dance floor.
- Attractive new French doors. When finished, there will be a total of four French doors along that new wall. Two existing - Prop closet and Desk Guide entrance, and two new – entrance to lounge and stereo closet. They will be symmetrically balanced with about 10 feet of wall space in between.
- New check-in area. The current main entrance will be converted to a staffed check-in area where our Desk Guides can attend to your needs from both the lobby and the lounge.
- Exterior wall. We also plan to refresh the exterior walls next month.
Work is expected to be completed by April 13. All interior work after March 31 will be finished during non-class times, with no anticipated class cancellations. We will also ensure the studio stays pristine during this time.
We ask for your patience while the work is completed. Please note:
The cubbies will be temporarily moved to the dance floor area for about two weeks while the lounge and the new check-in area are being finished. Also, during the first week of April, expect an “industrial look” for the new sheetrock wall and door frames until we can apply the finishes. The dance floor side of the wall will be finished first.
Thank you for bearing with us during this time of upgrades. As we move along towards the ten-year anniversary, expect a refreshed and reborn Studio NiaMoves! We are at your service and will support your dance through life!
Upcoming Facility work: Electricity Upgrade and Removal of Breezeway
March 16, 2016
All classes except West African Dance are cancelled on March 30 and 31 to complete important electrical improvements on the property. Dangling wires between the studio and house will be buried underground. This work is needed for code compliance.
It's no April Fools joke! When you return to class on April 1, expect to see clear sky instead of the breezeway roof. With this change, we'll be able to eventually plan and build a weather-proof recreational area for all to enjoy.
Welcome our New Neighbor, El Gato Coffee House
February 22, 2017
El Gato Coffee House, Houston's first cat cafe, has found its home in the beautiful 1920's house behind Studio NiaMoves! In the past few weeks, the old house got a much needed shake up and face-lift, but more upgrades are needed before it opens the doors. We appreciate your patience and thank you for your understanding during this stage of the remodeling. We will continue to provide construction updates so that you are in the know.
El Gato Cat Cottage (The House)
The house is remodeled and designated as the "Cat Cottage". The work has begun as of Feb. 20. The Cat Cottage will open its door on April 8 for events and private parties. Patrons can munch on food, sip drinks and play with adoption-ready kitties from the Houston Humane Society.
Over the next couple of months, expect to see a handicapped-accessible ramp being built along the east wall of the house, and a shipping container will be placed at the south end of the parking lot.
El Gato Cafe (Shipping Container on 504 Pecore Parking Lot)
The shipping container will be retrofitted and serve as the cafe where staff will prepare food and drinks. There will be a separate feline-free indoor seating area as well. The cafe is tentatively scheduled to open in late May or early June.
With this change, most of the workshops that typically took place in the house have been relocated to the studio. Regrettably, we must say goodbye to the Crescendo Family Music and Meditation Momma programs. Please join me in thanking them for their contributions to the NiaMoves community, and let's wish them well in their new locations and future endeavors.
Currently, we expect four parking spots on the south end of the lot to be occupied by the shipping-container-converted cafe starting late March. We will also share the parking with construction crews and, once the café is open, with café patrons. Even with reduced parking spots, we still will have one of the largest parking lots in the Heights area. If the parking lot becomes full during regular class times, curbside parking is always an option.
Studio NiaMoves is now approaching its tenth year in the beautiful Heights neighborhood. We are committed to you and the studio's ability to serve you. With El Gato Cafe as our neighbor, we will now have an onsite cafe serving specialty coffee, tea, cakes, empanadas and more! Very soon we will have the opportunity to linger after class over a cup of coffee from Argus.